ADS

Shrimp and Couscous Salad

Shrimp and Couscous Salad

I recently tried couscous for the first time and I enjoyed it. It was pretty small, like grains of sand. Not too long ago I came across this recipe that used couscous that was much larger, more like small pearls. It looked pretty interesting and the recipe sounded pretty tasty. I was able to find the larger couscous at the St. Lawrence market in a package labeled as Israeli couscous. The original recipe called for mint but when I went to make it I realized that I had forgotten to pick up the mint. I did however have some fresh dill on hand so I used that. This was one of the most amazing dishes that I have had in a while. The couscous had an amazing al dente texture and a great flavour from cooking it in the chicken stock and lemon juice. The shrimp were of course succulent. Given how easy this dish was to make I think I will be enjoying it fairly often in the future. The next time I try it I will have to remember the mint.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon oil
1 clove garlic (chopped)
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup couscous
1 lemon (zest & juice)
5 shrimp
1 tablespoon of a fresh herb (chopped)
1 tablespoon dried cranberries
1 tablespoon slivered almonds (toasted in butter)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a sauce pan.
2. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
3. Add the chicken stock, lemon juice, couscous and bring to a boil.
4. Add the shrimp after 5 minutes and continue to boil until the couscous is al dente, about 7-9 minutes in total (just like pasta).
5. Mix in the fresh herb, cranberries, almonds, salt and pepper.

Take a look at Pinktober at eCupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment