ADS

Pumpkin Cake Roll

Pumpkin Cake Roll


I got a bunch of pumpkins from the farmers market while they had them and I still had three of them. I was looking through my bookmarks for pumpkin recipes when I came across this one and this one for pumpkin rolls. I had bookmarked the pumpkin roll cake because it look really good and I wanted to try baking a rolled cake. I did not know what a jelly roll pan was but it turned out that the baking dish that I had been using as a general purpose baking sheet was a jelly roll pan. It was much much bigger that the 11x15 that the recipe called for so I only used one end of the pan. The cake came out of the pan easily after baking. It was thicker on one end than the other but it rolled up without breaking. In the end it turned out pretty good. The cake was really moist and the filling was nice and creamy. The pumpkin and spices both smelled and tasted good. The next time I make a pumpkin cake roll I think I will add some pecans. I have a feeling that this cake will disappear very soon. I imagine that a banana cake roll would also be really nice. Or maybe a banana and chocolate cake roll, or a lemon cake roll, or...

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 8 ounce package cream cheese (room temperature)
2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
1 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl
2. Beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl until well mixed.
3. Beat in the pumpkin puree until well mixed.
4. Mix the flour and egg mixtures.
5. Pour the mixture into a 10x15 jelly roll pan that is lined with parchment paper and greased and floured.
6. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the center springs back when pressed, about 15 minutes.
7. Turn the cake onto a kitchen towel sprinkled with the icing sugar.
8. Roll the cake in the towel and let cool completely.
9. Mix the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl.
10. Roll out the cake and spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake.
11. Roll the cake up again and wrap in plastic wrap until ready to serve.

Pumpkin Cake Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment