ADS

Azuki (Red Bean) Ice Cream

Azuki (Red Bean) Ice Cream

I have seen red bean ice cream in Asian groceries stores and I have always wondered what it was like. I finally decided to just try making my own. I had made red bean paste or Tsubushian (or an or anko or azuki-an) here, so I knew what that was like. I decided that I would like to have both the flavour of the red bean paste and the texture of the whole red reads so I decided to use half mashed and half whole red beans. I started with the same base ice cream recipe that I have used before. When making ice cream I generally start with less sugar and add some more after everything has come together until it gets to the level of sweetness that I want. This time I added the red beans and red bean paste until it got to the consistency that I wanted as well. The red bean ice cream turned out well. I really liked the flavour and the texture of the ice cream. I had some of the red beans in the simple syrup (Tsubuan) left over and I spooned some on top of the red bean ice cream for some extra red bean goodness.

Ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/2 cups sugar
2 egg yolk
1/2 cup tsubuan (whole red beans simmered in water and sugar)
1/2 cup tsubushian (whole red beans simmered in water and sugar and then mashed)

Directions:
1. Heat the cream, milk, sugar in a sauce pan until it almost boils, about 5 minutes.
2. Reduce the heat to low.
3. Add one table spoon of the cream mixture to the egg to temper it.
4. Add the egg to the sauce pan.
5. Cook at low heat until it is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
6. Add the tsubuan and tsubushian to the mixture.
7. Chill the mixture in the fridge.
8. Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.

Similar Recipes:
Ichigo Daifuku
Matcha and White Chocolate Ice Cream
Sweet Corn Ice Cream

Use the leftover egg whites in:
Coconut Macaroons
Molten Chocolate Cake
Green Tea and White Chocolate Opera Cake
Green Tea Macarons
Strawberry Souffle
Meringues
Dorie's Perfect Party Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment