ADS

Grandma's Pirogies

Grandma's Pirogies

Very often when we celebrated the holidays with my grandparents my grandmother would make these really amazing pirogies. Out of all of the dishes served for the holidays the pirogies were always my favorite. I would commonly take a small portion of turkey and fill the plate up with pirogies. I had not had the pirogies in a while so I though that I would try to make them over the holidays. It worked out well because I also wanted to cook a ham over the holidays.

The pirogies have a fairly simple filling consisting of ham, sauerkraut, mushrooms and onions. My grandmother always fried them in butter with sliced onions until the pirogies were golden brown and the onions were nice and caramelized. For a long time I though that all pirogies were made like this. I was pretty surprised to find out that pirogies are more commonly filled with potatoes and/or cheese, possibly with some bacon. I have tried these other types of pirogies and though I like them (especially with some sour cream) they will always take second place to these pirogies.

Wrapper

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk (warm)
2 tablespoons butter butter (melted)
1 egg (beaten)

Directions:
1. Mix the flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Mix the milk, butter and egg in another bowl.
3. Mix the wet and dried ingredients together and form a dough adding more flour if necessary though it should still be a bit sticky.
4. Knead the dough on a floured surface a few times.
5. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for an hour.
6. Make the filling.
7. Cut the dough into four equal pieces.
8. Roll each piece into a log about 1 inch in diameter.
9. Cut into 1 inch slices.
10. Form a ball with each piece and roll the balls flat. Use a bit of flour so they don't stick to the surface or the rolling pin.
11. Place a tablespoon of filling in the middle and fold in half sealing the edge.
12. Boil the pirogies until they float, about 3-5 minutes.

At this point the pirogies are cooked and can be eaten, fried, refrigerated or frozen. If you are going to store them you might want to let them dry first so that they do not stick together.

Filling

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
2 onions (chopped)
1 pound mushrooms (chopped)
1 pound cooked ham (chopped in food processor)
1 28 ounce can sauerkraut (rinsed, drained and chopped)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Melt the butter in a large pan.
2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and saute until all of the moisture has evaporated.
4. Add the ham, sauerkraut, salt and pepper and cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.

Grandma's Pirogi Filling

Since making the pirogies is a bit of work, it is perfectly acceptable to just make the filling. The pirogi filling makes for a really tasty sandwich! I only got about 20 pirogies out of the dough recipe so I a have a lot of extra filling for sandwiches. The filling also freezes well so I put some in the freezer and I can make some more pirogi dough later.

Grandma's Pirogi Filling Sandwich

Similar Recipes:
Ham and Mushroom Sauerkraut Soup
Sauerkraut Cabbage Roll Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment