ADS

Avgolemono Soup

Avgolemono Soup

I have been wanting to try an avgolemono soup for a while now. An avgolemono soup is a soup that is made with chicken stock, eggs and lemon juice. Since I had my freshly made chicken stock and some leftover lemons it was the perfect time to make the avgolemono soup. Many recipes that I found for avgolemono soup had little more that the base ingredients but my fridge was full of leftover chicken and vegetables and I could not resist throwing them into the soup. Several of the recipes included rice or pasta and I had some orzo pasta that I had been wanting to try so it went in as well. I also had some fresh dill that also went in. In the end I guess it turned out to be a fairly hearty chicken noodle soup with avgolemono sauce. I cut the vegetables into really small pieces so they they were tender by the time the orzo was cooked. The soup turned out to be pretty tasty. I really enjoyed the lemon and dill flavour of the soup. I also enjoyed the orzo pasta. The orzo added a nice soft chewy texture to the soup.

Ingredients:
8 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
1 cup chicken (cooked, shredded)
1 cup orzo
1 onion (chopped)
2 carrots (chopped)
2 stalks celery (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs
2 lemons (juice)
1 handful dill (chopped)

Directions:
1. Place the chicken stock, chicken, orzo, onion, carrots, celery, oregano, salt and pepper into a pot.
2. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the orzo is cooked, about 10-12 minutes.
3. Take the pot off the heat.
4. Whisk the eggs in a bowl until frothy.
5. Whisk in the lemon juice.
6. Slowly whisk in some of the liquid from the soup to temper the eggs.
7. Mix the avgolemono sauce into the soup.
8. Stir in the dill and serve.

Similar Recipes:
Chicken Noodle Soup
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Avgolemono Sauce
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Tom Yum Gai (Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup)

More soup recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment