ADS

Lemon and Oregano Roast Chicken

Lemon Roasted Chicken

One of the good things about the weekend is that you have time to make big dinners. This weekend I made roasted chicken dinner. This was the first time that I cooked an entire chicken. I am not sure why I was hesitant about cooking an entire chicken as it turned out to be pretty easy. I decided to season the chicken in a simple fashion with lemon and oregano. The chicken turned out pretty good. It was nice and tasty. I had some lemon roasted potatoes and some spinach with feta dressing with the roasted chicken. Overall it was a really tasty meal. I only cooked a small chicken but I have a lot of left over chicken meat to use in other dishes. Now I also have a chicken carcass with which I can make some home made chicken stock.

Ingredients
1 (3 pound) chicken (rinsed and patted dry)
1 lemon (quartered)
4 sprigs fresh oregano (optional)
4 cloves garlic
1 lemon (zest and juice)
2 tablespoons fresh oregano (or 2 teaspoons dried)
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Directions
1. Fill the cavity with the lemon quarters, oregano sprigs and garlic.
2. Puree the lemon zest, juice, oregano, garlic, oil, salt and pepper in a food processor.
3. Rub the mixture all over the chicken and under the skin of the chicken as much as possible.
4. Place the chicken in a roasting pan and let it come to room temperature.
5. Roast in a preheated 350F oven until done, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. (It is done when the juices run clear when you slice just behind the drumstick or when a meat thermometer reads 170F.)
6. Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minutes.

Similar Recipes:
Curried Honey Dijon Roasted Chicken
Oven Roasted Turkey Drumsticks
Chicken Giouvetsi

Use leftovers in:
'Souvlaki' Chicken Salad Sandwich with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta

No comments:

Post a Comment