ADS

Vegetable Broth

There were a few soups on my to try list that called for vegetable broth and I thought that instead of buying vegetable broth it would be more fun to make my own. A vegetable broth is pretty simple; you just simmer vegetables and herbs in water for a long period of time. I decided to form the base of the broth with onions, celery and carrots. I have been wanting to use fennel more so I made sure that I had some of that but otherwise I just threw in what I had. Since roasting vegetables really brings out their flavour I knew that I would have to roast the vegetables for the broth. The broth turned out really well. It had an amazing aroma and a full and robust flavour. Broths and stocks generally freeze well so you can make a lot and freeze the extra for later use.

Ingredients:
2 onions (cut into big chunks)
2 carrots (cut into big chunks)
2 stalks celery (cut into big chunks)
1 head of garlic
1 red pepper (cut into big chunks)
1 bulb fennel (cut into big chunks)
1 handful mushrooms (cut into big chunks)
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 sprig thyme
1 sprig rosemary
1 handful sage leaves
1 tomato (cut into big chunks)
3 bay leaves
* water

Directions:
1. Toss the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, red pepper, fennel, and mushrooms in the olive oil with the salt and pepper.
2. Roast the vegetables in a preheated 400F oven until golden browned, about 40-60 minutes.
3. Place the roasted vegetables,thyme, rosemary, sage, tomato and bay leaves in a large stock pot.
4. Fill the pot with water.
5. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 4-6 hours adding more water if needed.
6. Strain the solids from the vegetable broth.

Use in:
Pumpkin Chorizo and Black Bean Soup
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup with Goat Cheese
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Tortellini Soup
Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup
Creamy Parmesan Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Caramelized Pear and Blue Cheese Soup
Quick and Easy Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Crispy Honey Lemon Cauliflower on Chili and Garlic Stir Fried Zoodles

Similar Recipes:
Chicken Stock
Chicken Broth
Beef Stock
Turkey Stock
Shrimp Stock
Ham Broth

No comments:

Post a Comment