ADS

Green Tea Macarons

Green Tea Macarons

Shortly after I started food blogging I came across he concept of macarons. Macarons are a French pastry made with almond powder, icing sugar, egg whites, and sugar. (The short list of ingredients makes the macarons sound deceptively easy to make.) The macarons form a sandwich with a layer in between. I had some green tea buttercream and white chocolate ganache left over from making my green tea and white chocolate opera cake and I thought that they would make nice fillings for macarons. I decided to continue with the flavour theme and went with green tea flavoured macarons.

I have to admit that the first batch of macrons did not turn out too good. They stuck to the parchment paper and they were all destroyed as I tried to get them off. I thought that greasing the parchment paper with butter might help so I tried a second time. I was a bit upset when the second batch also stuck to the parchment paper but I decided to leave them for a while after destroying only two of them. After a few hours I tried again and they came off easily. Maybe a silicone sheet would be handy for things like this?

All of the effort was worth it as the macarons tasted great! They were nice and light and airy. I really enjoyed the matcha flavour of the macarons and it went well with the green tea buttercream and white chocolate ganache fillings. I look forward to making macarons again and trying different flavours.

Macarons


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups icing sugar
1 cup ground almonds
1 teaspoon matcha
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Directions:
1. Sift the icing sugar, ground almonds and matcha together into a bowl.
2. Beat the egg whites until just stiff.
3. Beat in the sugar until just stiff.
4. Fold the almond mixture into the egg white mixture.
5. Pour the batter into small discs on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
6. Let sit for an hour so that a thin layer forms on the outside.
7. Bake in a preheated 325F oven for 10-11 minutes.
8. Let cool and then fill with filling.

Similar Recipes:
Green Tea and White Chocolate Opera Cake
Green Tea White Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies with Chocolate Ganache
Green Tea and White Chocolate Ice Cream
Coconut Macaroons

Use the leftover egg yolks in:
Guinness Chocolate Pudding
Hollandaise Sauce
Avgolemono Sauce
Azuki (Red Bean) Ice Cream
Black Sesame Ice Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment