ADS

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Since it had been a bit warmer lately, I thought that it was time to bring my ice cream maker out of hibernation. Vanilla ice cream is my favorite ice cream and since I had picked up some vanilla beans a while ago and I had been impatiently waiting to make some. I started with my basic ice cream recipe and added a few extra egg yolks to make it even creamier. By the time the mixture was done cooking it was really thick like custard and I could have eaten it all just like that with a spoon. But my goal was vanilla ice cream and not vanilla custard. I used some vanilla sugar that I had made myself by placing the used vanilla bean pods into the container with the sugar. The vanilla bean ice cream turned out really well. It was nice and creamy and the vanilla flavour was nice and strong, just the way I like it. The ice cream was full of nice dark flecks of vanilla bean. I don't seem to have much luck taking photos of ice cream. It always seems to melt before I get a shot that I like.

Ingredients:
1 vanilla bean pod
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/2 cups vanilla sugar
4 egg yolks

Directions:
1. Slice the vanilla bean open lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
2. Heat the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla bean seeds in a sauce pan until it almost boils, about 5 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat to low.
4. Add one table spoon of the cream mixture to the eggs to temper them.
5. Add the egg mixture to the sauce pan.
6. Cook at low heat until it thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
7. You may want to strain the mixture at this point to remove any bits that may have formed while cooking.
8. Chill the mixture in the fridge.
9. Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.

Similar Recipes:
Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
Sweet Corn Ice Cream
Mastic Ice Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment