ADS

Rhubarb Fool

Rhubarb Fool

I had been impatiently awaiting for the fresh local rhubarb and on the weekend I found some at the farmers market. It was nice and thick and dark red and I picked some up. I wanted to start with something simple to showcase the rhubarb flavour and I thought that a fool would be perfect. A fool is generally pureed sweetened fruit with whipped cream or custard. This time I thought that I would make a rhubarb and vanilla yogurt fool. I simmered the rhubarb in orange juice and a bit of sugar to soften it and give a pureed like texture. I used a small amount of sugar to temper the tartness of the rhubarb just a bit. The rhubarb fool turned out amazing! I really enjoyed the flavour of the rhubarb and its tartness. Although the vanilla yogurt does not seem all that sweet by itself, it seemed much sweeter when contrasted with the tart rhubarb. Each bite was a pleasant mixture of tart rhubarb and sweet vanilla yogurt. I imagine that the rhubarb mixture would also go well on vanilla ice cream (warm even), or rice pudding or tapioca pudding etc. I enjoyed the rhubarb fool as a dessert and the leftovers as my breakfast yogurt.

Ingredients:
1 pound rhubarb (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
1/4 cup sugar
1 orange (juice and zest)
1 cup vanilla yogurt

Directions:
1. Bring the rhubarb, sugar and orange juice and zest to a boil in a small pan stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Cover and simmer until the rhubarb is tender, about 6-10 minutes.
3. Refrigerate until cold.

Similar Recipes:
Rhubarb Fool with Gingersnap Crumbs
Blueberry and Maple Pecan Granola Parfait
Mango Coconut Rice Pudding
Rhubarb Crisp
Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble
Rhubarb Crumb Cake

Take a look at the Weekend Herb Blogging roundup at Maninas: Food Matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment