ADS

Waldorf Salad

Waldorf Salad

The farmers market has been full of many different varieties of apples for a while now and I seem to be bringing them home faster than I can eat them. I was going through my bookmarks looking for new ways to enjoy apples when I came across a waldorf salad. A waldorf salad is basically fresh apples, celery, walnuts and raisins in a mayonnaise based dressing. It sounded simple and good. (It reminded me a bit of a cole slaw.) I like the mayonnaise and lemon juice combo but I tried to make sure that it was not too heavy as I wanted to enjoy the flavours in the salad. I had a lot of apples to choose form but in the end I decided to go with gala. The waldorf salad turned out really good. The crisp and juicy apples cut through the sweet and tangy dressing nicely. I really enjoyed the range of textures in the salad from the crisp to the crunchy to the chewy. The toasted walnuts went really well in this salad and I think that toasting them first is essential. I would imagine that dried cranberries would work just as well as raisins in this salad. I am also thinking that I might try adding some fresh grape slices the next time. Shredded cooked turkey or chicken would also probably go well maybe even with some curry powder. I am going to be enjoying this salad for a while to come.

Ingredients:
1 apple (cored and chopped)
1 stalk celery (chopped)
1 handful dried raisins (or cranberries)
1 handful walnuts (toasted and chopped)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
salt and pepper to taste
lettuce

Directions:
1. Mix the apple, celery, cranberries and walnuts in a bowl.
2. Mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper in a bowl.
3. Toss the salad with the dressing.
4. Serve on a bed of lettuce.

Similar Recipes:
Cole Slaw
Avocado and Sweet Corn Salad
Apple Wild Rice Salad
Fresh Pea Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment