ADS

Garides Tourkolimano (Greek Shrimp)

Garides Tourkolimano (Greek Shrimp)




Last week I had the opportunity to attend the Wines from Greece seminar and wine tasting event. I learned a lot about Greek wines and I got to try some really nice ones. Of course the wine tasting only wet my appetite and I had to head out to find some of the wines that I had just sampled. Unfortunately the lcbo did not have any of my favorite wines from the tasting event but I was assured that they would be getting them in. I did find some Greek wines but I am definitely looking forward to the increased selection of Greek wines coming to the lcbo.



I had the perfect recipe in mind for enjoying with some Greek wine. A while ago I came across this recipe for garides tourkolimano or Greek shrimp on Kalofagas and I just knew that I would have to try it. Garides tourkolimano are prawns cooked in a tomato, garlic, herb and wine sauce that is finished off with feta cheese. I had recently made and really enjoyed shrimp saganaki which is very similar dish but it is baked. This dish really reminds me of one of the reasons why I like Greek cuisine so much and that is because of the use of so many fresh herbs.



The garides tourkolimano were really quick and easy to make and they turned out great! The shrimp were amazing and the sauce was really tasty! I took the opportunity to head down to Greek town to pick up some good imported Greek sheeps milk feta and it was well worth the trip. I really liked that way that the feta was just starting to melt into the sauce. I could not let any of that sauce go to waste so I served the garides tourkolimano with some crusty bread to soak up all of the extra. Of course, I enjoyed the garides tourkolimano with a glass of the Greek white wine that I used in the sauce.



Garides Tourkolimano (Greek Shrimp)

(makes 4 appetizer sized servings)

Printable Recipe



Ingredients:

1 tablespoon oil

1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)

4 cloves of garlic (chopped)

1 large tomato (diced)

4 green onions (sliced)

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 splash hot sauce

1 teaspoon oregano

1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup feta (coarsely crumbled)

1 handful parsley (chopped)



Directions:

1. Heat the oil in a pan.

2. Add the shrimp and saute them for a minute on each side and set aside.

3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.

4. Add the tomato and green onion and saute until the tomato starts to break down, about 3-5 minutes.

5. Add the shrimp, wine, herbs and season with salt and pepper and simmer for 2 minutes.

6. Remove from heat and gently mix in the feta.

7. Cover and allow to rest for 3 minutes.

8. Garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread.



Similar Recipes:

Garides Saganaki (Shrimp Saganaki)

Singapore Chili Prawns

Baked Shrimp and Feta Pasta

Shrimp Linguine in a Tomato and White Wine Sauce

Mediterranean Fish Stew

Bouyiourdi

Scallop Saganaki

Greek Green Beans in Tomato Sauce with Feta (Fasolakia)

No comments:

Post a Comment