ADS

Blueberry Clafoutis

Blueberry Clafoutis


Last week I had the pleasure of attending The Ultimate Chef's Table with Chef Curtis Stone food event put on by The Bay and Curtis Stone to promote his new line of cookware. At this event Curtis Stone showed off his new line of cookware by using it to cook his guests dinner. Of course all of the dishes that he made came straight from his most recent cookbook Relaxed Cooking with Curtis Stone: Recipes to Put You in My Favorite Mood and included a Tuna Ceviche, a Shrimp and Pesto Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes, a Fresh Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb and a Blueberry Clafoutis. The event took place at Dish cooking studio here in Toronto where it was set up such that all of the guests could sit at tables surrounding the cooking area and watch chef Stone prepare the meal.

I had a great time at The Ultimate Chef's Table with Chef Curtis Stone! The food was really good and I got to meet a lot of interesting people including a few other Toronto food bloggers and Curtis Stone. Curtis Stone was really nice and did a great job of keeping his guests entertained while he cooked dinner. While cooking he also answered any questions that his guests had on any topic. I brought my camera and took some pictures which I uploaded to my flickr account here: The Ultimate Chef's Table with Chef Curtis Stone Photo Set

One of my favorite dishes from the meal was the dessert, the blueberry clafoutis, and I wanted to try making it at home. It is not quite blueberry season here but luckily the stores are currently filled with cheap California blueberries. A while ago I made and enjoyed a cherry clafoutis so I was looking forward to comparing the new recipe with it. Clafoutis commonly has an almond flavour and most recipes that I have seen just call for almond extract but this one uses toasted almond slices that are ground into a powder. This clafoutis was really easy to make; you just mix everything in a food processor and then bake it for a few minutes. I was just as pleased with the home cooked version of this blueberry clafoutis as I was with the one that chef Stone served. Blueberries work really well in clafoutis and I liked the bit of texture that the ground almonds added.

Blueberry Clafoutis

(makes 6 servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
3/4 cups almonds (sliced and toasted)
2/3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cups blueberries

Directions:
1. Place the toasted almond slices, sugar, flour and salt in a food processor and process until the almonds are finely ground.
2. Add the eggs and pulse a few times.
3. Add the heavy cream and blend until a smooth batter is formed.
4. Cover and refrigerated the batter for 12 hours.
5. Divide the blueberries between 6 greased 4 inch tartlet pans and pour the batter over them.
6. Bake in a preheated 400F oven until they start to set and the tops start to turn golden brown, about 12 minutes.
7. Let cool and serve with blueberry fool.

Similar Recipes:
Cherry Clafoutis
Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes
Blueberry Mochi Cake

Giveaway

At the event I picked up some free swag and I thought, what better to do with it than to use it to hold Closet Cooking's first ever giveaway? I have a copy of "Relaxed Cooking with Curtis Stone: Recipes to Put You in My Favorite Mood", a Curtis Stone apron and a Curtis Stone shoulder bag that I will send to one lucky commenter. Just leave a comment on this post before Friday June 26th and I will draw for the winner on Saturday.

Update (June 26, 2009): The winner is commenter #176 or Gee of You had me at Ciao Bella!. Please contact me by email lynch.kevin@gmail.com with your address so that I can get the package in the mail as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment