ADS

Kimchi Quesadillas

Kimchi Quesadillas


While I was researching the Kogi taco truck short rib tacos I came across the kimchi quesadillas on their menu. I am a huge fan of kimchi and I knew that I would have to try the kimchi and melted cheese combo as soon as possible! I immediately started making a fresh batch of kimchi and then I impatiently waited for it to ferment. The thing about kimchi is that the longer that it ferments the better it gets so despite the fact that you can start eating it after a few days it is best to wait a few weeks for the flavour to build up. Based on Kogi's description and photos it looked like the kimchi quesadilla was simply filled with kimchi and cheese. I was a bit worried that the kimchi might be a bit to wet, and no one likes a soggy quesadilla, so I decided to saute the kimchi first to both reduce the moisture in it and to caramelize it a bit to add some flavour. The kimchi quesadilla was nice and easy to make and it was awesome! I cannot believe how good the warm melted cheese and caramelized spicy kimchi combo is! The kimchi was packed with flavour and the perfect amount of heat and the melted cheese held everything together and added a great texture. The tortillas were nice and golden brown and light and slightly crispy making the perfect hand holdable wrapping for the quesadillas. I garnished the kimchi quesadillas with some of the Korean style salsa roja and it added even more flavour and heat. I have to admit that I like these quesadillas so much that I have made them more than a few times already. I'm glad that I made a big batch of kimchi!

Kimchi Quesadillas

(makes 1 quesadilla)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
2 strips bacon (cut into 1 in pieces)
1/4 cup kimchi (drained and chopped)
2 tortillas
2 handfuls cheese (grated, I used a combination of cheddar and jack)

Directions:
1. Cook the bacon and set aside retaining the grease.
2. Saute the kimchi in the bacon grease until it starts to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
3. Melt a touch of butter in a pan.
4. Place a tortilla into the pan and swirl around in the butter and set aside.
5. Place the second tortilla into the pan and swirl around in the butter.
6. Sprinkle on half of the cheese onto the tortilla followed by the kimchi and bacon followed by the remaining cheese.
7. Cook until the quesadilla is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted.

Tip: Place a plate onto the quesadilla and flipped it from the pan to the plate and then slide it back into the pan to flip the quesadilla.

Note: For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon and fry the kimchi in a teaspoon of sesame oil.

Similar Recipes:
Kimchi Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Gochujang Ketchup for Dipping
Kimchi, Bacon and Shiitake Mushroom Pizza
Chicken Satay Quesadillas with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Pineapple Dak Bulgogi Quesadillas (Korean Spicy Pineapple BBQ Chicken Quesadillas)

No comments:

Post a Comment