ADS

Pumpkin and Mushroom Pasta with Gorgonzola

Pumpkin and Mushroom Pasta with Gorgonzola


The squash, caramelized onion, sage and gorgonzola flavour combo has been on my mine a lot ever since I tried it in the roasted butternut squash and caramelized onion pizza with gorgonzola and crispy fried sage. I was trying to think of new ways to enjoy this particular flavour combination when I realized that I had not had pasta in far too long. I had some pumpkin puree that I wanted to finish and I thought that a pumpkin, gorgonzola and sage sauce would go nicely on a pasta. For some reason I kept thinking about adding some mushrooms to the pasta and since I was going to be slowly caramelizing the onions anyways I figured that I might add some. In addition to adding some sage to the onions and mushrooms I could not resist frying some sage leaves in browned butter until they were nice and crispy and I used them to garnish the pasta. The pumpkin, gorgonzola, sage, caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms flavour combo was amazing and it worked really well as a pasta sauce! I can't wait to try experimenting with this flavour combo some more!

Pumpkin and Mushroom Pasta with Gorgonzola

(makes 4 servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion (sliced)
8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon sage (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pound pasta
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup gorgonzola (crumbled)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon butter
1 handful sage leaves

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onions and mushrooms and slowly cook them until they are nice and caramelized, about an 20 minutes.
3. Start cooking the pasta.
4. Add the garlic, sage, red chili pepper flakes and nutmeg and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
5. Add the pumpkin puree, cream, gorgonzola, salt and pepper and simmer to reduce for a few minutes.
6. Melt the butter in a pan.
7. Add the sage leaves and fry until Crispy.
8. Toss the pasta in the sauce and serve garnished with the crispy butter fried sage.

Similar Recipes:
Pumpkin Gnocchi in a Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce
Roasted Butternut Squash with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Crispy Fried Sage
Roasted Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Pizza with Gorgonzola and Crispy Fried Sage
Steak Tenderloin in a Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce

Take a look at the Presto Pasta Nights roundup on Kahakai Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment