ADS

Granny Smith Apple and Gorgonzola Pizza

Granny Smith Apple and Gorgonzola Pizza


I have really been into the butternut squash and gorgonzola combo lately and it all started with the roasted butternut squash and caramelized onion pizza with gorgonzola and crispy fried sage that I made a while ago. While I was enjoying that pizza I thought that gorgonzola would also go really well with apples and I thought that an apple and gorgonzola pizza would also be really nice. The idea has been percolating in my head for a while and now that the apples are in season it was the perfect time to turn it into a reality. I figured that the soft gorgonzola dolce would melt really nicely and work as the 'sauce' of the pizza but it felt a little bare with just he cheese and the sliced apples. I borrowed the idea of adding the caramelized onions from the butternut squash pizza and I went with red onions to add a bit of colour. I also added a splash of balsamic vinegar to the onions for a kick of extra flavour. While researching apple pizzas on the web I came across one that used walnuts and the pizza was now complete. The apple and gorgonzola pizza with caramelized onions and walnuts turned out amazingly well! The gooey melted tangy gorgonzola worked really well with the tart apples and sweet caramelized onions and the walnuts added a great contrasting texture. Overall I was really pleased with the way the pizza turned out and I will definitely be making it again and again. Pear and gorgonzola is also a great combo and I think that a pear version of this pizza would also work really well.

Granny Smith Apple and Gorgonzola Pizza

(makes 1 pizza)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
1 red onion (sliced)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 pizza dough
1 cup gorgonzola cheese (crumbled)
1 granny smith apple (cored and thinly sliced)
1/4 cup walnuts (chopped)

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onion and saute until tender and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Mix in the balsamic vinegar and cook until it has evaporated.
4. Spread the onions, gorgonzola, apple and walnuts out on the pizza.
5. Bake in a preheated 500F oven until golden brown, about 5-10 minutes.

Similar Recipes:
Roasted Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Pizza with Gorgonzola and Crispy Fried Sage
Thai Chicken Pizza with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Apple Pie Pizza
Pear and Gorgonzola Risotto
Pear Salad with and Bacon, Gorgonzola and Candied Walnuts
Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Gorgonzola
Caramelized Apple and Cheddar Omelette with Bacon and Candied Walnuts
Caramelized Apple and Gorgonzola Omelette with Bacon and Pecans

No comments:

Post a Comment