ADS

Rutabaga Gratin

Rutabaga Gratin


Rutabaga is one of those vegetables that I know exists and I have nothing against it but I tend to just pass it by all the time in the grocery store. This weekend I noticed some at the grocery store and I decided that it was past time to do something with it. The first thing that came to mind was a cheesy gratin and I figured that the rutabaga would work just like a potato in a gratin. I started by peeling the rutabaga and slicing it thinly using a mandolin. From there I briefly boiled the rutabaga slices to ensure that they would be nice and tender when they finally came out of the oven. I decided to go with a cream based gratin this time rather than a bechamel based one and I jazzed it up a bit with some garlic and thyme. After the sauce was made, it was as easy as assembling the gratin and baking it. By the time the gratin came out of the oven it was perfectly golden brown and covered in ooey gooey, creamy, melted cheesy goodness! I thoroughly enjoyed the rutabaga gratin and now that I have reacquainted myself with rutabaga I am looking forward to doing more with it!

Rutabaga Gratin

(makes 4+ servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
2 pounds rutabaga (peeled, sliced thinly)
1 cup heavy cream
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups gruyere (grated)

Directions:
1. Heat the sliced rutabaga in boiling water for 3 minutes and set aside.
2. Bring the cream, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes and then remove from the heat.
3. Pour a bit of the cream into the bottom of a casserole dish.
4. Place a layer of rutabaga on top, followed by some cream and some cheese. Continue to layer ending with a layer of cheese.
5. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until bubbling on the sides and golden brown on top, about 30-40 minutes.

Similar Recipes:
Potato au Gratin
Pancetta and Porcini Potato Gratin
Onion Gratin
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Gratin
Spaghetti Squash and Chard Gratin
Brussels Sprouts Gratin
Fennel Gratin

No comments:

Post a Comment