ADS

Eggplant Parmesan (Lasagna Style)

Eggplant Parmesan

Normally when I make eggplant parmesan or melanzane alla parmigiana I keep it nice and simple with nice thick slices of eggplant that are either roasted or fried and then baked in a marinara sauce and topped with melted cheese. Recently I have come across several layered lasagna like versions of eggplant parmesan and despite the extra effort involved I knew that I would have to try making one and I got the chance to on the weekend. Roasted eggplant is really good and I often roast eggplant when a recipe calls for frying it to keep it a bit lighter. This time however, I wanted to go for the full on crispy breadcrumb coated version. Other than layering this eggplant parmesan the recipe is pretty much the same as my normal version, though this time I went with a kalamata olive marinara sauce to pack in even more flavour. The lasagna like layered eggplant parmesan took a bit more time to make but it was worth it! I quite enjoyed the layers of crispy coated eggplant with melted cheese and tasty marinara. Though I will likely continue to make the simpler version more often, I will definitely be making this version again!

Eggplant Parmesan with Salad and Garlic Bread

Eggplant Parmesan

(makes 6+ servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
2 large eggplants (optionally peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick lengthwise)
salt
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup flour
4 eggs (lightly beaten)
2 cups bread crumbs
oil for frying
3 cups marinara sauce (I used a kalamata olive marinara)
1 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
3 cups mozzarella (grated or sliced)

Directions:
1. Salt the eggplant and let it sit in a colander for 20-30 minutes then rise it and pat it dry.
2. Season the eggplant with salt and pepper, dredge it in flour, dip it in egg and dredge it in the bread crumbs.
3. Fry the eggplant in the oil until it is golden brown on both sides and then let them drain on paper towels.
4. Spread some of the marinara on the bottom of your baking dish followed by a layer of eggplant, some marinara, some parmigiano reggiano and mozzarella and continue to layer until you end up with cheese at the top.
5. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the sides are bubbling and the cheese is melted and golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.

Similar Recipes:
Eggplant Parmesan (Melanzane alla Parmigiana)
Fried Green Tomato Parmesan
Eggplant and Mozzarella Panini
Fried Eggplant and Mozzarella with a Roasted Marinara Dipping Sauce
Eggplant Tortino in a Kalamata Olive Marinara Sauce
Crispy Baked Eggplant Fries with Marinara Dipping Sauce (aka Eggplant Parmesan Fries!)

No comments:

Post a Comment