ADS

Salsa Verde

Salsa Verde

Back in May when I made the Chicken Enchiladas in Green Sauce I had wanted to make the green sauce (or salsa verde) from scratch but I was unable to find any tomatillos. I was a bit depressed because I could not recall having ever seen any tomatillos in any grocery store ever. I resigned myself to using canned salsa verde. When I was at the farmers market on the weekend I saw some tomatillos and quickly picked them up!

Salsa verde is pretty simple to make. You pretty much just cook the tomatillos and blend everything into a salsa. It was great! It was super fresh, it had a great flavour and some heat. I wanted to enjoy the salsa verde for itself so I used it as a dip for tortilla chips. I made a enough that I have some left over that I look forward to using in another dish.

The article on wikipedia says that tomatillos can be frozen. I think I will try to get some more and freeze them so that I can make my own salsa verde again when I cannot find fresh tomatillos.

Ingredients:
1 pound tomatillos (husks removed)
2 jalapeno peppers (sliced in half and seeded)
1 small onion (sliced into 8 wedges)
2 cloves garlic
1 lime (juice and zest)
1/2 cup cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Place the tomatillos, jalapenoes and onion in a single layer on a baking sheet with the skin of the peppers up.
2. Broil in the oven until the tomatillos are blackened all over and the jalapenos skin is blackened. Note: You may have to remove the peppers from the oven before the tomatillos. (Feel free to remove the charred outer skins first.)
3. Place everything into a food processor and puree.

Update (10/22/2008):
I have made salsa verde a bunch of times over the last year and I have tried playing around with it in different ways. One of the first new things that I tried was roasting the tomatillos as suggested in the comments below and it turned out great! Roasting vegetables always adds a lot of flavour. I also tried adding some chipotle chilies to add some smokey heat to the salsa verde and it also turned out really well.

Salsa Verde with Chipotle Chilies


Similar Recipes:
Korean Style Salsa Roja
Pipian
Pico de Gallo
Tomatillo Pico de Gallo
Swiss Chard Pesto
Roast Zucchini Salsa

Use in:
Chili Verde
Salsa Verde Turkey Burger
Salsa Verde Carnitas
Tilapia Baked in Salsa Verde
Burritos
Salsa Verde Lasagna
Salsa Verde Pulled Chicken Sandwich
Salsa Verde Huevos Rancheros
Turkey and Zucchini Green Chili
Mushroom and Zucchini Enchiladas
Roasted Tomato Salsa
Asparagus Huevos Rancheros
Roast Asparagus and Caramelized Mushroom Quesadillas with Goat Cheese
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas in Creamy Avocado Sauce
Carnitas Tacos
Carnitas Eggs Benedict
Summer Vegetable Quinoa Burrito Bowls with Corn, Zucchini and Black Beans
Grilled Corn, Roasted Poblano and Bacon Zucchini Crust Pizza
Pork Tinga Quesadillas
Quinoa White Chicken Chili
Chicken Carnitas Burrito Bowl with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
Cilantro Lime Salmon Taquitos
Taco Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment