ADS

Szechuan Prawns on Soba Noodles

Szechuan Prawns on Soba Noodles

I have been seeing some really nice looking dishes with prawns or shrimp lately. I have never really cooked prawns before* and I wanted to give it a try. I went to the market and got some raw tiger shrimp that was still in the shell. Luckily the fish monger had cut open the shell and de-veined the shrimp already so all I really had to do was remove the shells and rinse the prawns. I decided to go with a spicy szechuan style sauce. I let the sauce reduce a little too much while waiting for the noodles to cook and there wasn't much left to cover the soba noodles. It tasted pretty good though. I really liked the prawns. The prawns had an amazing firm and juicy texture. I will definitely have to try more dishes with prawns!

*When I was a kid I did not like seafood and thus I never really ate it. Recently I tried it again and found that I now liked it. I still don't eat much seafood but I am trying to eat it more often.

Ingredients:
80g raw tiger prawns
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 red bell pepper (julienned)
1 garlic clove (chopped)
1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon sherry
1 tablespoon chili sauce (such as sambal oelek)
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon starch
2-3 tablespoon chicken stock
1 tablespoon cilantro (chopped)
2 servings soba noodles (cooked)
2 handfuls bean sprouts (blanched)
1 green onion (chopped)

Directions:
1. Wash, shell and de-vein the prawns.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Add the red pepper and saute for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the prawns and saute until they turn pink.
5. Add the garlic and ginger and saute for about a minute.
6. Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sherry, chili sauce, tomato puree, and honey and stir.
7. Mix the starch into the chicken stock and add to the pan and stir.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the cilantro.
9. Place the noodles on a plate, place the bean sprouts on and top with the prows in szechuan sauce.
10. Garnish with green onions.

Take a look at the Presto Pasta Nights roundup at Once Upon a Feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment