ADS

Tamales with Shredded Chicken and Corn Filling

Tamales with Shredded Chicken and Corn Filling

I first learned about tamales a few months ago. Tamales are steamed corn dough that is often filled with meat or other things. The tamales are usually wrapped in corn husks when they are steamed. When I came across the tamales corn was not in season so I bookmarked the page to come back to later. Now that corn is in season I got a chance to try them.

I decided to go with a shredded chicken filling and I though that I would add the corn from the cobs. So I used the corns husks in addition to their the kernels and I used a corn flour for the dough. The corn kernels added a nice sweetness to the heat of the shredded chicken. Of course one of my favorite herbs, cilantro was also in the shredded chicken mix. The tamales turned out pretty good. I topped them with some salsa. You could also have them with sour cream, cheese, etc.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (or corn oil)
1 cup maseca (corn flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup warm water (or stock)
1 cup texmex shredded chicken with corn
4 large corn husks

Directions:
1. Beat the shortening until it is fluffy.
2. Add the maseca, baking powder, salt and water and mix it until it has a dough like consistency.
3. Take a spoonful of the dough and flatten it out.
4. Place a spoonful of the shredded chicken in the middle and wrap the dough around it.
5. Wrap the dough in a corn husk and place it in the steamer standing up.
6. Repeat.
7. Steam the tamales for an hour. The dough should be firm and it should not stick to the husk when done.

Take a look at the Weekend Herb Blogging roundup at Thyme for Cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment