ADS

Lamb Stuffed Peppers (Greek Style)

Stuffed Peppers (Greek Style)


Stuffed peppers have been on my todo list for a while now. Luckily the farmers market was still full of red peppers on the weekend and I picked some up. I have been seeing stuffed pepper recipes on food blogs over the last few weeks and each one was different. Stuffed peppers are pretty versatile. You can stuff them with pretty much anything you want. Since I had all of the ingredients for the Greek Style Lamb Burgers from the other night I decided to go with a lamb stuffing with Greek flavours. Many of the stuffed pepper recipes that I saw included either rice or bread crumbs. I had been meaning to try bulgar for a while so I decided to use that instead of rice. The stuffed peppers turned out to be pretty tasty. I am really enjoying the flavourful lamb meat.

When looking at the recipe and photo now, I realize that there was no cheese in it. I think I might mix in some feta or sprinkle some pecorino on top the next time I make this.

Ingredients:
1.5 cups water
1 cup bulgur
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 pound ground lamb
1 zucchini (grated)
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon dill (chopped)
4 or 5 large bell peppers

Directions:
1. Bring the water and bulgar to a boil.
2. Cover, turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a pan.
4. Add the onions and saute until tender.
5. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
6. Add the ground lamb and brown.
7. Add the zucchini, tomatoes, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Mix in the bulgar and dill and remove from the heat.
9. Cut the tops of the pepper off and remove the seeds and veins.
10. Stuff the peppers with the mixture and place in a baking dish.
11. Bake in a preheated 400F oven until the peppers are tender, about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment