ADS

Red Curry with Shrimp and Kabocha (Pumpkin)

Red Curry with Shrimp and Kabochap


After trying and enjoying coconut milk last week I was looking for more dishes that used it. I came across this recipe that also included kabocha squash (also called Japanese pumpkin). Since I was already going to be picking up some kabocha for the risotto that I had on the weekend I added this to my meal plan. I really like curries including British style curries, Indian style curries and my favorite so far, Japanese curry. Since I had never tried a Thai style of curry I was really looking forward to this dish. Luckily I was able to find some lemongrass at the St. Lawrence Market. I also picked up a small jar of red Thai curry paste. When I opened the curry paste my nose was filled with an amazingly aroma. When I cooked the curry in the thick coconut milk that fragrance only intensified. I was really impressed by this dish. The heat and spices of the curry paste were nicely mellowed by the sugar and the sweetness of the kabocha and peas. I understand that there are many different types of Thai curry pastes and I look forward to trying more of them. I will also have to look into making my own Thai style curry paste.

Ingredients:
2 cups kabocha (peeled, seeded and cut into bite sized pieces)
1 14 ounce coconut milk
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 stalks lemon grass (2-4 inches of the soft bottom inside, bruised)
8 shrimp (shelled)
1/2 cup peas
2 roma tomatoes (quartered lengthwise)
2 servings of rice

Directions:
1. Heat a pan and add the thicker coconut milk from the top of the can and the red curry paste and saute for about three minutes stirring constantly.
2. Add the remaining coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, and broth and mix.
3. Add the lemongrass and kabocha and reduce the heat and simmer until the squash is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
4. Add the shrimp and peas and cook until the shrimp is cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and cook for another minute.
6. Serve over rice.

Similar Recipes:
Penang Curried Pumpkin and Prawn Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment