ADS

Tonkatsu (Japanese Pork Cutlet)

Tonkatsu


I was going through my fridges freezer when I came across some thin pork chops. I was wondering what to do with them and I thought that it had been a while since I had had tonkatsu. Tonkatsu is a Japanese style pork cutlet that is breaded with panko bread crumbs and deep fried. (I don't have a deep fryer so I normally shallow fry the pork in some oil in a pan.) I really like tonkatsu because it is nice a crispy on the outside and really juicy on the inside. It is great by itself and it is even better in tonkatsu sauce. (Yep, it has its own sauce.) Tonkatsu sauce is similar to a thick Worcestershire sauce. It is a pretty quick and easy dish. I normally have everything that I need on hand, other than the pork.

You should be able to find both the panko bread crumbs and the tonkatsu sauce at your local asian grocery store. I have the Bulldog brand of tonkatsu sauce.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup flour
salt & pepper to taste
2 pork chops
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:
1. Mix the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl
2. Dredge the pork in the flour.
3. Dip the pork in the egg.
4. Cover the pork in panko.
5. Fry the pork in oil until golden brown on both sides.

Similar Recipes:
Katsudon (Pork Cutlet Rice Bowl)
Katsu Kare (Pork Cutlet with Curry Sauce)

Tonkatsu with Tonkatsu Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment