ADS

Mango on Coconut Sticky Rice

Mango on Coconut  Sticky Rice

Over the last few months I have been exploring some Thai cuisine. It did not take me long to come across coconut milk. Coconut milk is commonly used in Thai curries and I have also discovered that it can be mixed with rice. Coconut rice is a cool and refreshing contrast to spicy dishes. I really like the amazing aroma of warm rice with coconut milk. I was looking for some new ways of using coconut milk when I came came across the concept of a Thai sticky rice dessert. This is a dessert that is made with Thai sticky rice that has soaked up sweetened coconut milk and it is commonly topped with seasonal fruit. The mango coconut sticky rice was really good and I was a bit surprised that such a simple sounding dish could be so good!

I was able to find the Thai sticky rice at a shop that specializes in carrying all sorts of rice. It seems to be pretty similar to Japanese short grained rice. I just cooked the sticky rice in my rice cooker the same as any other rice and it turned out perfect. If you want to cook it without a rice cooker you should soak it in water for an hour to over night and then steam it for 20 minutes.

Ingredients:
1 serving cooked sticky rice
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 tablespoon palm sugar (grated, or white sugar, or honey, etc.)
1 pinch salt
1/2 mango (sliced)
sesame seeds

Directions:
1. Bring the coconut milk to a simmer and dissolve the sugar and salt into it.
2. Pour the coconut milk onto the rice, reserving some, and let it sit for 5 minutes. The rice will absorb the coconut milk.
3. Place the coconut rice on a dish and top with the sliced mango, the reserved coconut milk and some sesame seeds.



More Mango Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment