ADS

Onion Rings (French Fried Onions)

Onion Rings (French Fried Onions)

When I eat at a pub or tavern I like to replace the fries with onion rings when I can. Onion rings are rings of onions that are battered and fried until golden brown and crispy. I had been craving onion rings for a while and I decided to just try making them at home.

There was one problem though. Making onion rings requires deep frying and I had never tried deep frying. In the past I have shallow fried cutlets in a tablespoon or so of oil. I decided to try my hand at deep frying. I poured a lot of oil into a pan and turned the stove onto medium heat. I manually adjusted the heat based on how the onion rings were cooking. If the onion rings were turning too brown too quickly I reduced the heat and if they were taking too long to brown I increased the heat. In the end the deep frying turned out to be much easier than I was thinking that it would be.

The onion rings turned out pretty good. They were nice and crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. The normally pungent onion had turned slightly sweet which is one of the things that I like most about onion rings. I like to eat onions rings with malt vinegar and salt but I had run out of the vinegar so I enjoyed the onion rings with ketchup this time. Now I don't have to go out to enjoy onion rings. I look forward to playing with the recipe. Maybe I could replace the milk with buttermilk or maybe I could use bread crumbs to get a thicker and crispier coating.

Ingredients:
1 onion (cut into rings)
1 cup milk
1 cup all purpose flour
oil for frying

Directions:
1. Soak the onion slices in the milk for a few minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Dip an onion ring into the flour to coat.
4. Place the onion ring into the oil and cook until golden brown on both sides.
5. Remove the onion ring from the oil and set on some paper towels.
6. Repeat for the remaining onion rings.

Similar Recipes:
Crispy Baked Onion Rings
Chips (French Fries)
Fried Calamari
Herb Roasted Onions
Curried Fried Mushrooms
Tostones with Roasted Garlic Mayo
Crispy Baked BBQ Onion Rings

No comments:

Post a Comment