ADS

Salsa Verde Carnitas

Salsa Verde Carnitas

I really enjoy the flavours of Mexican and Texmex cuisine and I am always on the look out for new dishes. I recently came across the concept of carnitas. Carnitas are made by braising the meat, typically pork, in a seasoned liquid until it is tender enough to shred. After the meat is shredded it baked at high heat to turn the edges of the meat crispy while the inside stays nice and tender. After the meat has been prepared it can be used in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc. The recipe that I came across was for salsa verde carnitas. There was no way that I could resist trying pulled pork braised in salsa verde and then baked until slightly crisp and yet still tender. I used some home made salsa verde that I had made with some tomatillos that I had in the freezer. The carnitas turned out pretty good. The meat was really flavourful and I enjoyed the combination of crisp and tender textures. I used the carnitas meat in a simple taco with lettuce, cilantro, shredded cheese and sour cream. I really look forward to using carnitas meat in other dishes in the future.

Ingredients:
1-3 pounds pork shoulder
1 onion (chopped)
2 cups salsa verde
2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
tortillas

Directions:
1. Trim the excess fat from the pork.
2. Place the pork, onion, salsa verde, chicken stock, cumin and oregano in a pot.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the pork is nice and tender, about 3-6 hours.
4. Take the pork out of the liquid and shred the meat with a pair of forks.
5. Bake the shredded pork in a preheated 400F oven until just browned and slightly crispy.
6. Skim the fat from the liquid.
7. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer to reduce for about 10 minutes.
8. Mix the pork back into the liquid.
9. Use the pork mixture in your favorite tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc.

Note: Can be used as a filling in burritos.

Similar Recipes:
Carnitas
Tacos al Pastor
Chili Verde
Salsa Verde Lasagna
Salsa Verde Pulled Chicken Sandwich
Cochinita Pibil (Puerco Pibil)
Cochinita Pibil Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment