ADS

Roasted Asparagus and Red Pepper Farro Salad

Roasted Asparagus and Red Pepper Farro Salad

I have been hearing a lot about whole grains lately and I have been trying to eat them more often. One of my favorite ways to enjoy whole grains is to use them as the base of a salad. Last weekend I picked up some farro and I had to try using it to make a salad. I had some locally grown asparagus so they were a no brainer and went in. I decided to roast the asparagus to maximize its flavour and since I had the oven on anyways I tossed in some red peppers. I like to use beans in my whole grain salads and I thought that chickpeas would go well in this one. Of course I just had to add some feta. This farro salad turned out really well. I enjoyed the chewy texture of the farro. It was kind of like al dente pasta. I liked this salad so much that I made it again except with quinoa. The quinoa version had a lighter texture and tasted just as good as the farro version.

Ingredients:
1 cup farro
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 pound asparagus (cut into bite sized pieces)
1 roasted red pepper (sliced)
1 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Cook the farro as directed on the package. (Just like rice, 2 cups of water, simmer for ~20 minutes.)
2. Toss the asparagus in the olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Roast the asparagus in a preheated 425F oven for about 10 minutes.
4. Mix the asparagus, red pepper, farro, chickpeas, and feta in a large bowl.
5. Mix the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
6. Pour the dressing onto the salad and toss to coat.

Similar Recipes:
Roasted Cauliflower and Red Pepper Farro Salad
Mushroom and Thyme Farro Salad
Asparagus and Zucchini Farro Salad
Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad
Warm Mushroom and Wild Rice Salad with Roasted Asparagus and Feta

Take a look at the No Croutons Require roundup at Tinned Tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment