ADS

Shrimp and Avocado in Tamarind Sauce

Shrimp and Avocado in Tamarind Sauce

A long time ago I picked up a small jar of tamarind concentrate to try. Since the one time that I used it, it has been sitting at the back of my fridge, forgotten. I recently came across a recipe for shrimp and avocados in a tamarind sauce that sounded good and reminded me of that little jar of tamarind concentrate lost in my fridge. Tamarind is tart and it works well in dishes where you are trying to get a nice balance of sweet, salty, sour and spicy. The prawn and avocados in a tamarind sauce came together quickly and easily. This dish was pretty tasty and I really enjoyed the tamarind flavour. The avocado added a nice coolness and creaminess to the dish. Jasmine rice is quickly becoming one of my favorite rices for its aroma and flavour and I enjoy cooking it in coconut milk to add an extra layer of flavour. I served this dish on coconut jasmine rice and the tamarind sauce mixed in with the coconut rice was a nice flavour combination. I am looking forward to using tamarind again and I will have to keep an eye out to see if I can see some fresh tamarind to try.

Ingredients:
1 pound shrimp (peeled and deviened)
2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon chili sauce
1 tablespoon oil
1 shallot (chopped)
1 clove garlic (grated)
1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
2 avocados (peeled, stoned and cut into bite sized pieces)
1 tablespoon cilantro (chopped)

Directions:
1. Marinate the shrimp in the tamarind, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and chili sauce for 5 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Add the shallot and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
5. Add the shrimp and marinade and simmer until the shrimp is cooked, about 1-3 minutes. (If you want a more liquidy sauce you can add some water.)
6. Remove from heat and stir in the avocado and cilantro.

Similar Recipes:
Thai Lemon Shrimp
Tequila Lime Shrimp
Orange Chipotle Shrimp
Tilapia Baked in Tamarind Sauce
Pad Thai

No comments:

Post a Comment