ADS

Caprese Sandwich

Caprese Sandwich

This weekend the farmers market was full of fresh field ripened locally grown tomatoes and I picked up a bunch of them. While I was at the grocery store I was thinking about the caprese salad that I had not to long ago when I passed a nice looking loaf of ciabatta; my favorite sandwich bread. The two thoughts collided and I just had to try a caprese salad sandwich in some nice and crusty and chewy ciabatta. The first version of the sandwich was pretty simple having just fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil ant it was nice and fresh and really good.

I knew that I would be using a lot of the fresh basil to make some basil pesto and I thought that it would be great if I added some of that to the next sandwich. The fresh basil pesto made the sandwich even better! While on the roll, the next sandwich got a splash of balsamic vinegar which added a really nice kick.

Caprese Sandwich

My next thought was that it would be really nice if the mozzarella was melted by grilling the sandwich. I had wanted to do it panini style but I do not have a panini maker so I pulled out my grill pan and pressed down on the sandwich with a bowl. The grilled caprese sandwich did not get the nice panini grill marks but the mozzarella did melt nicely. The warm gooey melted mozzarella in the sandwich was really good.

Grilled Caprese Sandwich

I am off to make another sandwich.

Ingredients:
2 slices bread (or a bun)
1 fresh ripe tomato (sliced)
1 ball fresh mozzarella (sliced)
1 handful fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon basil pesto (optional)
1 splash balsamic vinegar (optional)

Directions:
1. Assemble sandwich.
2. Grill if desired.

Similar Recipes:
Caprese Salad
BLT (Bacon Lettuce and Tomato) Sandwich
Mango Caprese Salad
Grilled Vegetable Panini
Diced Caprese Salad with a Pesto Dressing
BLAST (Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, Shrimp and Tomato) Sandwich
Parmesan Crusted Pesto Tilapia Bruschetta
Caprese Chicken Pesto Pasta

No comments:

Post a Comment