ADS

Sausage on Lentils and Greens

Sausage on Lentils and Greens

A little over a year ago I tried cooking lentils for the first time and it did not go so well. It seemed that no matter how long I cooked them they just did not soften. That put me off lentils for a while but recently I have been wanting to give them a second chance. I was thinking about doing a simple lentil dish with some vegetables and aromatics to show off the lentils. I was a bit worried that the lentils would be a bit plain and I remembered seeing a sausage and lentil dish that looked nice. I thought that some tasty sausage would rescue the meal if the lentils proved to be boring. I wanted some green vegetables in the meal and having recently enjoyed some sauteed Swiss chard I thought that it would round out meal perfectly.

The lentils smelled amazing while they were cooking. My fears of flavourless lentils were quickly thrown aside and I was eagerly awaiting for them to finish cooking. I made sure to test the lentils a few times around when they were supposed to be done to make sure that I caught them when the were al dente. The lentils turned out really well. They smelled great, were full of flavour, and I enjoyed their texture. The sauteed Swiss chard and Italian sausage finished the meal off nicely. I was using up some leftover sausage from my freezer and the sausage ran out before the lentils and Swiss chard so I enjoyed the leftovers with a fried egg on top for breakfast. I am now looking forward to cooking with lentils again.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 small onion (chopped)
1 carrot (chopped)
1 rib celery (chopped)
1 cup puy lentils
1 bay leaf
~2 cups water (or broth or stock)
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon oil
2 links Italian sausage
1 handful parsley (chopped)
sauteed Swiss chard

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the garlic, onion, carrot, and celery and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the lentils and bay leaf and cover in water.
4. Simmer covered until the lentils are al dente, about 20-30 minutes.
5. Season the lentils with salt and pepper.
6. Heat the oil in a pan.
7. Add the sausage and cook until golden brown on all sides and fully cooked.
8. Slice the sausage and serve over the lentils

Fried Egg on Lentils and Greens

Similar Recipes:
Swiss Chard and Cannellini Beans
White Bean and Kale Soup with Turkey Sausage
Minestrone Soup with Sausage and Squash
Sauteed Swiss Chard
Swordfish Steak with Mango Chutney on Curried Lentils
Italian Lentil and Chestnut Stew
Chicken and Chanterelles on Spinach and Wild Rice
Cajun Red Beans and Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment