ADS

Apple Wild Rice Salad

Apple Wild Rice Salad



While I was eating my roasted pork tenderloin with apple gravy on apple wild rice I was reminded of the waldorf salad that I had recently enjoyed. One thought led to another and I was thinking about a wild rice salad with crisp fresh chunks of apple. The wild rice would have to be cooked in apple cider and chicken stock again to add all of that flavour. Crunchy celery, sweet raisins and toasted walnuts would also have to be a part of the salad. I was thinking of a simple oil and vinegar based dressing made with walnut oil and cider vinegar and a touch of maple syrup to balance it out. With apples and raisins in the salad it only seemed fair to invite cinnamon to the party. The apple wild rice salad turned out really nicely. I left the dressing rather tart and I quite enjoyed the contrasting sweetness of the apples and the raisins. Overall all of the ingredients worked really well together in the salad. I could not wait for the rice to cool down so I enjoyed it warm the day and the leftovers were good right from the fridge. I am looking forward to using wild rice again.



Ingredients:

1 cup wild rice (cooked in apple cider rand chicken or vegetable stock)

1 apple (cored and chopped)

1 stalk celery (chopped)

1 tablespoon raisins (or dried cranberries)

1 tablespoon walnuts (toasted and chopped)

1 clove garlic (grated)

1 tablespoon walnut oil (or olive oil)

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1 teaspoon maple syrup (or honey)

1 dash cinnamon



Directions:

1. Mix everything in an bowl.



Similar Recipes:

Apple Wild Rice

Waldorf Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment