ADS

Top Hats (Kuih Pie Tee)


First of all, I want to say Yay! This is my 100th posting in exactly 3 months!

Well, I remember when I first started blogging about my cooking, I had informed a few of my closest friends which includes Ben and Suanne from Chowtimes. You might want to know, how I met them... Of course through the Internet!!

Its all started before I even moved to Vancouver. I had search for everything about Vancouver, and no surprise there...I found Chowtimes. They are the nicest couple I have met here. They invited my family for lunch and from then onwards, we became good friends.

Anyway, back to my blogging story. One day, while having lunch with Ben and his family, he had mentioned that I blog everyday. Well, that's true and I even told them that I wanted to achieve my 100th posts by end of the year! And... I have done it!

Ben and Suanne have helped me a lot by getting readers to my new blog and so, I am dedicating this post to them. I really appreciate their humility and their friendship!


Top Hats (Kuih Pie Tee)
(Printable Recipe)

Ingredients

Shells

100 g All Purpose Flour, sifted
50 g Corn Flour
110 g Rice Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
400 ml Water
Oil for deep frying

Filling

1 kg Yam Bean (Jicama), shredded
300 g Carrots, shredded
5 Shallots, sliced
250 g Prawns, shelled and chopped
2 Tbsp Peanut Oil
2 tsp Sugar
Sea salt to taste
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
3 stalks Scallions
3 Red Chillies, finely sliced

Method

Prepare the Top Hats shells. Combine all the ingredients and let the batter rest for an hour.

In a moderate heat, dip the mould in the oil ( make sure the oil is not too hot). Then dip the mould into the batter and plunge the mould into the oil. Jiggle the mould lightly, up and down motion and they should slip away from the mould. Let the shell cook until they are light brown in color. Remove and drained the excess oil. (You might want to fry the shells ahead of time. Its rather time consuming!)

Store them in an airtight container or in a ziplock bags (like me). They will stay crisp! Unless if there's any humidity then just pop them into the oven on a low heat for awhile.

In a large pan or wok, cook the shallots on a low heat until they are golden in color.

Turn the heat on high and mix in the chopped prawns. Saute briefly and add the yam beans and carrots. Stir and add some pepper, sugar and sea salt to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside.

In a non-stick pan, make the omelet. Let it cool slightly and sliced them thinly.

To serve, put some yam beans and carrot filling and top it with the omelet, chilies and some scallions. Serve with some sweet chili sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment