ADS

Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney


Over the last few weeks the markets have been flooded with mangoes from Mexico. I am particularly fond of mangoes and after a long winter of mostly apples I was really please to see the mangoes and I picked up a lot of them. I may have even picked up too many of them and I needed to use them before they went bad. It was the perfect chance to try another mango chutney recipe.

I first discovered mango chutney in the grocery store a little over a year ago and I really liked it. Since then I have been trying to make my own and I have tried several recipes but I have not been pleased with any of them. After another search on the net I came across this recipe for mango chutney that sounded good. I noticed that this recipe include vinegar and I am pretty sure that vinegar is included in the store bought version that I like so much. I was thinking that the tangy vinegar might have been what was missing from my previous attempts.

This mango chutney turned out great! The flavours were just amazing! The chutney was sweet and tangy and spicy with just the right amount of heat. I now have a new favorite mango chutney!

Mango Chutney

(makes 4+ cups)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
6 cups mango (stoned, peeled, chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
1 red chili (chopped)
1 tablespoon garlic (grated)
1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup raisins
6 cardamom pods (crushed and ground)
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne
3 cups vinegar

Directions:
1. Place everything in a large pot and boil until it thickens, about 30-60 minutes.
2. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

To sterilize the jars:
1. Wash in hot soapy water.
2. Keep the lids in boiling water until ready to use.
3. Place jars in 225F oven for 10 minutes and keep warm until ready to use.

Recipes that use mango chutney:
Curried Chicken and Mango Salad
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Mango Chutney
Swordfish Steak with Mango Chutney on Curried Lentils
Curried Chicken Burger

Similar Recipes:
Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam
Mango and Cardamom Jam
Mango and Vanilla Jam
Curried Mango Bread
Cranberry Chutney
Apple Chutney
Pickled Green Tomatoes

More Mango Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment