ADS

Fettuccine with Artichokes and Chicken

There was a great article in last month’s Saveur about artichokes, and that’s where I found this recipe. Here in Austin, I only ever see globe artichokes and on rare occasions a purple variety. So, when I noticed that this recipe was made with baby artichokes, I thought I would have to just go with large ones and cut them into smaller pieces once cleaned. Off I went to Whole Foods where I found some lovely, giant globe artichokes and as I piled them into my cart a nice woman struck up a conversation. She asked how I planned to use them and went on to tell me about the amazing stuffed artichokes she once enjoyed in Italy. I explained that I wished I could find the baby size but was going to make do. And, then she said that she just saw some baby artichokes right over there. Perfect. Today’s lesson: always engage in conversations with strangers when grocery shopping. You never know what you might learn. I was thrilled to bring home baby artichokes and got right to work on this dish.

First, the artichokes were cleaned, trimmed, halved and left to soak in acidulated water. If you click on the link above for this recipe, there is also a handy slideshow of the steps taken to clean baby artichokes. Next, oil was heated in a dutch oven and garlic, carrots, and dried porcini were added. Once cooked until soft, chopped pieces of boneless chicken were seasoned and added to the pan with some tomato paste. Chicken thighs were recommended, but I had boneless breasts in the refrigerator and used those instead. The chicken cooked until browned, and then white wine vinegar was added which began the sauce and deglazed the pan. The artichokes were drained and placed in the pan along with Mexican mint marigold (or tarragon) and chicken broth. This was brought to a boil and then simmered for 40 minutes. Near the end of the simmering time, fettuccine was cooked separately in boiling water. It was drained, some of the pasta boiling water was reserved, and the pasta was added to the dutch oven. Grated parmigiano reggiano was stirred in, and some pasta water was used to extend the sauce.

This was a fantastic, hearty meal that’s a little difficult to describe. It was earthy with layers of flavor, yet it was spring-like and not heavy. The sauce was not thick or rich, but the simmering had transformed all the parts into something quite interesting that paired very nicely with artichokes and chicken. The few mushrooms were just enough to provide a woodsy note, and the vinegar’s acidity played its part. I’m lacking a good way to sum up how great this actually tasted, so you’ll just have to try it. And, I’ll have to make it a few more times until I can figure out how to explain it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment