ADS

Spinach and Feta Lasagna (aka Spanakopita Lasagna)

Spinach and Feta Lasagna (aka Spanakopita Lasagna)


While I was doing my meal planning for this week, two things were on my mind; one, I needed to do a pasta dish since I am hosting Presto Pasta Nights this week and two, I was craving spanakopita. Naturally, at some point I decided to combine the two and do a pasta version of a spanakopita. At first I was just going to go with a quick pasta dish with spinach, feta and herbs but this combination of two great meals deserved something more and I decided to go all out and make a spanakoptia lasagna. The recipe was pretty easy to come up with, being just the spanakopita filling all layered with lasagne noodles and melted mozzarella cheese. Although the lasagna was straight forward to put together it took a bit of effort but it was so worth it! The amazing spinach, herb and feta flavour combination worked just as well in lasagna form as it did in phyllo pie form. I now really don't know which I prefer, the lasagne noodles and melted mozzarella or the light and flaky phyllo version. I will have to make both versions many more times and find out. :) I was thinking that you could easily replace some or all of the spinach with chard or kale to change things up a bit.

Spinach and Feta Lasagna (aka Spanakopita Lasagna)

(makes 9+ servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
4 bunches spinach (blanched and squeezed dry; or 4 boxes frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry)
1 cup herbs (such as parsley, dill and mint; chopped)
1 bunch green onions (sliced)
1 cup feta (crumbled)
1 cup ricotta
3 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups mozzarella (grated)
1/2 pound lasagne noodles (cooked)

Directions:
1. Mix the spinach, herbs, green onions, feta, ricotta and eggs.
2. Place a layer of the lasagne noodles in the bottom of your 9x13 inch baking dish.
3. Top with half of the spinach mixture and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
4. Top with another layer of noodles.
5. Top with the remaining spinach mixture and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
6. Top with another layer of noodles followed by the remaining mozzarella.
7. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until bubbling on the sides and golden brown on top, about 30-45 minutes.

Similar Recipes:
Lasagna
Spanakopita
Pastitsio (Greek Lasagna) with Greens
Spinach with Feta Dressing
Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice)
Spinach and Feta Quesadillas
Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken
Spinach and Feta Omelette
Spinach Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Be sure to come back on Friday to see the Presto Pasta Nights roundup!

No comments:

Post a Comment