ADS

Brussels Sprouts Gratin

Brussels Sprouts Gratin


It seems that I have not posted a proper side dish in a while... I assure you that that is not because I have not been making them. :) With brussels sprouts still in season I find that I have been using them a lot for side dishes and one of my favorite ways to use them is in a roasted brussels sprouts au gratin. I had been craving the creamy cheese covered brussels sprouts for a while and it was time to make them again but I thought that I would change things up a bit. Although I prefer to roast brussels sprouts I had been wanting to try the gratin with blanched brussels sprouts to see how they would work. Gratins can either be made with a cream based sauce or with a bechamel sauce and I had also been wanting to try a bechamel version of this gratin and thus I had a new recipe. The trick to a good bechamel sauce is to get the butter bubbling and just as it has turned a light brown colour to whisk in the flour. Once the flour is in you want to bring it back to where it is bubbling and just when it has become the light brown colour again to whisk in the milk. Since this is a gratin I then melted some cheese into the bechamel sauce. The new brussels sprouts gratin turned out really well! The bechamel sauce was nice and smooth and creamy and cheesy and soo good! Although I prefer the flavour of the roasted brussels sprouts I think that the texture of the blanched brussels sprouts works much better in a gratin.

Brussels Sprouts Gratin

(makes 4-6 servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
2 pounds brussels sprouts (trimmed, cut in half)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup gruyère cheese (grated)
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese (grated)
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup gruyere cheese (grated)
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese (grated)

Directions:
1. Blanch the brussels sprouts until just tender and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
3. Mix in the flour and let simmer until it just starts to brown a little.
4. Mix in the milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cheeses and heat until it thickens.
5. Mix brussels sprouts into the bechamel sauce and pour into a baking dish.
6. Mix the bread crumbs and cheeses and sprinkle on top of the brussels sprouts.
7. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until it is bubbling on the sides and golden brown on top, about 15-20 minutes.

Similar Recipes:
Roasted Brussels Sprouts au Gratin
Rutabaga Gratin
Onion Gratin
Maple Dijon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Pine Nuts
Pancetta and Porcini Potato Gratin
Fennel Gratin

No comments:

Post a Comment