ADS

Onion Chutney

Onion Chutney


Over the holidays I got to try an appetizer that was topped with a really nice onion relish and I was inspired to try to recreate the appetizer at home. I was not really sure what was in the onion relish but I could see the nicely caramelized onions and some spices and I was pretty sure that one of them was dark mustard seeds. While I was looking for a recipe for a savoury onion relish recipe with mustard seeds I thought that the relish really reminded me of a chutney. Given my recent obsession with chutneys, I immediatly switched gears and started looking for an onion chutney recipe. After looking for a while I decided to go with this onion chutney recipe that I found on Zlamushka's Spicy Kitchen that included the mustard seeds. This recipe reminded me of the chutneys that I have made before centering on the main ingredient and including some chilies for heat, some sugar for sweetness, some vinegar, or in this case lemon juice, for tartness and some spices for a nice savoury finish. Other that the agony of slicing all of those onions, this recipe is really simple and it takes almost no time at all and it was so worth the red eyes! This onion chutney has a really amazing balance of heat, sweetness, tanginess and a really nice spiced finish. The sweet onion flavour comes through well and the texture is really nice. Now that I have my onion relish, I mean chutney, it is time to work on the rest of that appetizer.

Onion Chutney

(makes 1-2 cups)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 dried chilies (crushed)
6 cups onions (sliced)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup lemon juice (or white vinegar)
1/4 cup sugar

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the cumin, mustard seeds, dried chilies and heat until they sputter.
3. Add the onions and saute until the start to turn golden brown.
4. Add the chili powder, salt, lemon juice, and sugar and bring to a boil for a minute.

Similar Recipes:
Onion Marmalade (or Balsamic Caramelized Onions)
Apple Chutney
Cranberry Chutney
Onion Gratin
Hot Caramelized Onion Dip
Chipotle Caramelized Onions
Maple Caramelized Onions
Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam
Slow Roasted Tomato Bacon Jam

Use in:
Peameal Bacon and Onion Chutney Crostini

No comments:

Post a Comment