ADS

Asparagus and Ramp Pesto Pasta

Asparagus and Ramp Pesto Pasta

While I was at the market this weekend I came across some local ramps or wild leeks which has to be the first local produce that I have seen so far this year. Ramps are a member of the onion family and taste like a cross between onions and garlic. I first came across ramps last year and I have been hooked ever since! Not surprisingly I picked some ramps up as soon as I saw them and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them. One of the things that I did with the ramps last year was make a ramp pesto and now I was thinking of combining the idea of a ramp pesto with another of my favorite spring vegetables, asparagus, to make an asparagus and ramp pesto. I kept the recipe nice and simple where I pretty much just took my recipe for asparagus pesto and replaced the garlic with 2 whole ramps for a nice kick of garlicky goodness. I tried my new pesto out in a pasta containing whole wheat penne and asparagus and it was really good! The pesto was vibrantly green, amazingly fresh and full of flavour! With this first taste of spring, I am now looking forward to the next few weeks and all of the fresh local produce that will come.

Asparagus and Ramp Pesto Pasta

(makes 4 servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
1 pound pasta
1 batch asparagus and ramp pesto (see below)
1 bunch asparagus (cleaned, trimmed, cut into 1 inch slices and blanched)
1 handful pine nuts (toasted)
1 handful parmigiano reggiano (grated)

Directions:
1. Cook the pasta, drain and toss with the pesto and asparagus.
2. Serve garnished with the pine nuts and parmigiano reggiano.


Asparagus and Ramp Pesto

(makes 1 cup of pesto)

Ingredients:
1 cup asparagus (cleaned, trimmed, cut into 1 inch pieces and blanched)
1/4 cup spinach (optional, helps keep the pesto nice and green)
2+ ramps (aka wild leeks)
2 tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
3 tablespoons olive oil
lemon juice to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Place everything into a food processor and blend.


Use in:
Asparagus and Baby Artichoke Quinoa Salad

Similar Recipes:
Wild Leek Pesto
Pistachio Asparagus Pesto Pasta
Pistachio Pesto
Asparagus Carbonara
Asparagus and Ramp Pesto Mac n Cheese
Ramp Pesto Omelette with Asparagus and Goat Cheese

Take a look at the Presto Pasta Nights roundup on Thyme for Cooking .

No comments:

Post a Comment