ADS

Monte Cristo Quesadillas

Monte Cristo Quesadillas

The ham and cheese sandwich is a classic and a while ago I came across a new way of enjoying that classic, in the form of a monte cristo sandwich. A monte cristo sandwich is a ham and cheese sandwich that is dipped in french toast batter, fried up and then served with strawberry or raspberry jam or even maple syrup. The sweetness of the jam added to the otherwise savoury ham and cheese sandwich was surprisingly good and I have been addicted ever since. The idea of a mote cristo quesadilla has been percolating in the back of my head for a while now and now that I had some ham leftovers I seized the opportunity to try making it.

I started off with the basics of the ham and cheese sandwich, the ham and cheese, and then I added some mustard for some zing and I figured that I might as well add some jam inside the quesadilla as well. Since I was using ham from the leftover apricot glazed ham I decided to go with apricot preserves but raspberry or strawberry jam would also be great. The next question was whether to batter the quesadilla up like french toast or not... I knew that that was an essential part of the monte cristo sandwich but I was not sure how a french toast quesadilla would work out. In the end I decided to try it and see how it worked.

The french toast battered quesadilla took a bit longer to cook and it was a bit softer that the quesadillas that I am used to but otherwise it worked out really well! The sweet and savoury combination was even better in quesadilla form. (There was less of that pesky bread to get in the way of the flavour.) I really enjoyed the flavour combinations of this quesadilla and the confectioners sugar sprinkled on top was nice extra sweet touch. I served the quesadilla with some extra apricot preserves for dipping the quesadillas into.

Monte Cristo Quesadillas

Alright, enough with the ham leftovers already! I will take a break and freeze the rest for later. :)

Monte Cristo Quesadillas

(makes 1 quesadilla)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon butter
2 (8 inch) tortillas
1 tablespoon mustard
2 handfuls cheese (grated, I used cheddar)
1/4 cup cooked ham (sliced or shredded, warmed)
1 tablespoon jam (I used apricot)
powdered sugar
jam for dipping (I used apricot)

Directions:
1. Mix the egg, milk and vanilla in a large shallow bowl.
2. Melt the butter in a pan.
3. Dip one side of a tortilla in the egg mixture and then place it in the pan.
4. Spread the mustard out over the top of the tortilla and cover with one handful of cheese, the ham and the remaining cheese.
5. Spread the jam on one side of the remaining tortilla, dip the other side into the egg mixture and place it on top of everything in the pan with the egg mixture facing up.
6. Let cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes and flip. (Tip: I slid the quesadilla onto a plate and then flipped the pan, placed it on top of the plate, flipped the pan upright again and removed the plate.)
7. Let cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
8. Slide the tortilla out of the pan, cut it into triangles and serve topped with powdered sugar and a side of jam for dipping. (Note: You could also drench the quesadilla in maple syrup!)

Similar Recipes:
Monte Cristo
Chipotle Chicken, Apricot and Brie Quesadillas
Turkey and Cranberry Quesadillas

No comments:

Post a Comment