ADS

Cranberry Chutney

Cranberry Chutney

You just can't have a Thanksgiving turkey dinner without cranberry sauce and this year I wanted to change things up a bit. Last year I tried a jalapeno cranberry sauce and I really enjoyed it and I was thinking that this year I would take it one step further. I was thinking about a cranberry chutney. I generally start my chutneys off with some onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeno peppers, turmeric, sugar and vinegar. From there I add the main flavouring, in this case the cranberries and then some some spices and extras to try to round things off. Because the cranberries are tart I decided to add some sweet raisins to balance things out rather than increasing the amount of sugar. Cranberry sauce is more of a holiday dish so I swapped out the turmeric for some pumpkin/apple pie type of spices to give it that holiday feel. The cranberry chutney turned out really well. It was a nice balance of tart, sweet, spicy and hot and it did a great job filling in for the cranberry sauce in the Thanksgiving meal. I am now looking forward to seeing how I can enjoy using the leftover cranberry chutney.

Read the recipe »

No comments:

Post a Comment