ADS

How to cut a Spiral Potato


A recent episode of the popular Unwrapped program on the Food Network caught my attention when they featured the Spiral or aka Tornado fries. It immediately inspired me to make these deep-fry taters as they certainly looked interesting and fun to eat. The potatoes were cut with a custom spiral cutter before being fried. As I did not have one of those spiral cutting contraption at home, I resorted to the manual way of cutting the potatoes i.e. using a thin sharp knife instead. The result was pretty good. I was satisfied with the outcome although the potato spiral wasn’t as thin and evenly cut as compared to the one’s shown on TV.


Btw, I had to use small potatoes for this method as it’s easier to handle and cut. To make the potatoes crispier, I did the double deep-frying method. You can learn about the frying method here.




How to cut a Spiral Potato

Ingredients


Small Potatoes, scrubbed
Skewers
Sea Salt
Oil for deep-frying

Method

Cut one end of the potato and put the cut side on a cutting board. Insert a skewer into the potato and gently push the skewer all the way through it.

Hold a sharp thin knife at an angle and cut in the opposite direction you are turning the skewered potato. As illustrated in my video, you will see that as I am turning the potato anticlockwise with my left hand, I am cutting the potato all the way through with my right hand in clockwise direction.

After the slicing the whole potato till it touches the skewer, gently fan-out the potato until you have an even gap between the slices that gives you the spiral.

Then, proceed to deep-fry the potatoes. Drain the potatoes on a paper towel, and season lightly with some sea salt. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment