ADS

Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam

Strawberry season is just starting here in Ontario and I got a lot of strawberries on the weekend. My grandmother used to make strawberry jam and I have had a craving for homemade strawberry jam for a while now.

I pretty much just followed the directions in the Certo (pectin crystal) package. It did not work out perfectly as the strawberries floated to the top of the jam. I think the problem was that I did not notice that I was supposed to bring it to a hard boil. A hard boil being a boil that does not stop boiling when stirred. (I learned something new.) It tastes great though! The recipe made a lot (7.5 jars), so I have a supply of strawberry jam to last a while.

Ingredients:
4 + 1/2 cups strawberries (hulled and crushed)
1 box Certo pectin crystals
7 cups sugar

Directions:
1. Bring the strawberries and pectin crystals to a boil with high heat in a large pot.
2. Add the sugar.
3. Bring to a hard boil for 1 minute.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Stir and skim foam for 5 minutes.
6. Pour into sterilized jars.

To sterilize the jars:
1. Wash in hot soapy water.
2. Keep the lids in boiling water until ready to use.
3. Place jars in 225F oven for 10 minutes and keep warm until ready to use.

Strawberry Jam on Toast

Use in:
Balsamic Strawberry and Chicken Pizza with Sweet Onions and Smoked Bacon
Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce

Similar Recipes:
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
Strawberry Balsamic Jam

No comments:

Post a Comment