ADS

Penne with Pumpkin and Sage Sauce

Penne with Pumpkin and Sage Sauce


I still had a cup of pumpkin puree left and I remembered seeing this post based on this recipe for a pumpkin pasta which sounded pretty interesting. The sauce was a pumpkin and sage sauce with some of the spices that are commonly combined with pumpkin and chili sauce for some heat. I have been using and really enjoying sage a lot lately and I was interested in seeing how it combined the pumpkin. I added the sage leaves to the pan a bit earlier so that they could fry up a bit in the oil. As I often do I added a teaspoon of the chili sauce and tested the sauce to see how it was. I ended up adding an extra teaspoon of chili sauce to bring it up to the level of spiciness that I was happy with. The pasta turned out pretty good. The pumpkin sauce had a nice blend of spices, spiciness, creaminess and sage.

That was the last of my pumpkins. I think I went through about 6 pumpkins this year and I really enjoyed them. I used them in a wide variety of dishes from sweet to savoury. The pumpkin has proven itself to be very versatile. There are still a bunch of pumpkin recipes in my bookmarks to try the next time I get some more pumpkins.

Ingredients:
2 servings penne pasta
1 teaspoon oil
1 shallot (chopped)
3 sage leave (thinly sliced)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon chili sauce
nutmeg to taste
cinnamon to taste
salt and black pepper to taste
parmigiano reggiano (grated)
sage leaves

Directions:
1. Cook the penne as directed.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Add the shallots and sage and saute until the shallots are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
5. Add the chicken stock, pumpkin puree, heavy cream, chili sauce, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper and simmer for 5-6 minutes to thicken.
6. Add the cooked pasta and toss to coat.
7. Plate the pasta and garnish with parmigiano reggiano and sage leaves.

Similar Recipes:
Butternut Squash, Italian Sausage and Sage Pasta
Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Ravioli in Sage and Butter Sauce
Roasted Pumpkin, Pancetta and Sage Soup

Take a look at Kalyn's Kitchen at Paulchen's Food Blog.
Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna

No comments:

Post a Comment