ADS

Karē (Japanese Curry)

Karē (Japanese Curry)

Karē (カレー), or Japanese curry is a thicker, sweeter and milder take on curry. Curry is one of the most popular foods in Japan. It can be made with different types of meat such as beef, pork or chicken. The most commonlused vegetables are onions, carrots and potatoes. It is normally served on Japanese style short grained rice.

Japanese curry is one of my all time favorite meals! I have tried it at various local Japanese restaurants and even at a few in Japan when I was there on vacation. It was one of the meals that started me off along my adventures in culinary discovery. I have made Japanese curry many times and each time I try something different. This version is my favorite one so far. This one contains sweet potatoes, apples and some honey to enhance the sweetness. I find that the sweetness goes really well with the spicy flavours of the curry. The sweet potato and apples are grated as they are there for flavour rather than texture. They will pretty much dissolve in the sauce anyways. Of course I prefer to braise the beef until it is fall apart in your mouth tender if I have the time. I also really enjoyed a chicken and broccoli version. The possibilities are nearly endless.

A while ago Katie of A Thyme for Cooking hosted and event called Skeletons in the Pantry. When I heard about the event I immediately though about Japanese curry as it is made with a store bought roux. Since I started this blog I have been trying to make as much as I can myself but I am still using store bought curry roux. I have tried several times to reproduce the curry without using the store bought roux but I have not been successful. I even tried using the curry powder blend that one of the companies that sells the roux makes. Even though the curry powder smells right the curry made with it just does not turn out right.

My favorite Japanese curry roux is the House Java Curry. You should be able to find it at your local Asian grocery store and I have even seen it in the Asian section of local grocery stores.

Japanese Curry Roux

When I make Japanese curry I generally make a lot of it. That way I can enjoy the leftover curry for lunches during the week and for dinners at night. The curry only gets better with time and reheating so the more you make the better it gets. The leftover curry can also be used to create other dishes.

And so starts the week of curry! :)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
1 pound beef (cut into bite sized pieces)
2 onions (chopped)
1 sweet potato (grated)
* beef broth (or water)
2 carrots (cut into bite sized pieces)
2 potatoes (cut into bite sized pieces)
1 sweet apple (grated)
1 tablespoon honey
1 box Japanese curry roux

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a large pot.
2. Add the beef and brown the beef on all sides.
3. Set the beef aside.
4. Add the onions and saute until soft.
5. Add the beef and cover in beef stock.
6. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beef is fall apart tender, about 2-3 hours.
7. Add the carrots, potatoes, apple, honey and curry roux.
8. Cover in beef stock.
9. Stir until the curry roux is fully dissolved.
10. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

Similar Recipes:
Katsu Karē (Pork Cutlet with Curry Sauce)
Karē Udon (Curry Udon Soup)
Karē Gyoza (Curry Potstickers)
Karē Pan (Curry Bread)
Nikujaga (Japanese Beef Stew)

No comments:

Post a Comment