ADS

Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche

Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche

I have been wanting to try making a quiche for a while now. A quiche is essentially a pie made from eggs and milk or cream. You can add whatever else you like to a quiche. With spring here, how could I not add some fresh locally grown asparagus? I thought that some mushrooms would go well with the asparagus and I roasted them to give them some extra flavour. Of course I had to add cheese, and a lot of it.

I tried making my own pie shell but it did not turn out too well. It tasted good and it had a nice texture but it shrank when baked and I still haven't gotten the hang of making the top of a pie crust look good. I will need to practice making pie crusts more often.

Assuming that you have a pie crust, making a quiche is pretty easy. You just pour everything into the pie crust and bake. The quiche turned out really well other than the pie crust. It was nice and golden brown on top and the inside was nice and moist and good. I enjoyed the quiche and I look forward to experimenting with different flavours in the future.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound mushrooms
1/2 pound asparagus (cut into 1-inch long pieces)
1 prebaked pie crust or tart shell
6 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated (1 1/2 cups)
4 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Roast the mushrooms in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
2. Steam the asparagus until just tender.
4. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the pie crust followed by the asparagus, the mushrooms and the remaining cheese.
5. Mix the eggs, cream, milk and pepper in a bowl and pour over everything.
6. Bake in a preheated 375F oven until golden brown and set in the center, about 30-35 minutes.

Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche

Similar Recipes:
Asparagus Frittata
Asparagus, Morel and Ramp Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Creamy Asparagus Soup with Morel Mushrooms and Ramps
Asparagus, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Egg Breakfast Casserole
Asparagus and Spinach Quiche

Take a look at the A Vegetarian Feast in a Quiche roundup at Shortcut to Mushrooms: A Vegetarian Foodblog.

No comments:

Post a Comment