ADS

Fresh Pea and Mint Pesto

Penne alla Pea Pesto

Spring has finally started to make its presence known at the farmers market. Last week the first of the asparagus showed up and this week it was the peas. Of course I picked some up. I was thinking that I wanted to do something to showcase the freshness of the peas and that a fresh pea pesto would be perfect. Mint always makes things seem more refreshing so I added some of that along with some lemon to brighten things up. Pestos often contain a nut and I though that almonds would be a nice change. For the cheese I went with a sharper pecorino to contrast the sweetness of the peas. Pestos like this are super simple to make, just blend everything in a food processor. I really like to serve pesto on pasta so that was my first stop. The pea pesto on whole wheat penne was really good! It was light, refreshing, sweet and savoury all at the same time. I still had some of the pea pesto left over and it went well on crostini for a snack the next day.

Ingredients:
1 cup peas
2 tablespoons mint
2 tablespoons almonds (blanched and peeled)
2 tablespoons pecorino cheese (grated, or parmigiano)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Mix everything in a food processor or with a mortar and pestle.

Crostini alla Pea Pesto

Similar Recipes:
Fava Bean Pesto on Fettucini
Asparagus Pesto on Penne
Wild Leek Pesto Pasta
Edamame Dip
Pistachio Pesto
Fresh Pea Salad

Take a look at the Presto Pasta Nights roundup at Once Upon a Feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment