ADS

Steak Tenderloin in a Green Peppercorn Sauce

Steak Tenderloin in a Green Peppercorn Sauce

They had some beef tenderloin on at a good price when I was at the market and I picked some up. The only question was what to do with it. I remembered enjoying a peppercorn steak at a restaurant a long time ago and I decided that I wanted to try making it at home. I was not sure exactly how they did it as I remembered some of the peppercorns being hard like I had expected but some of them were also soft. A quick search on the web led me to the discovery of green peppercorns in brine which was just what I was looking for. I was all set, I had some freshly cracked peppercorns to crust the steak and some brined green peppercorns for a sauce to go on it. I really like simple meat and pan sauce recipes like this as they are quick, easy and always tasty and this peppercorn steak was no exception. I got a nice sear on the outside of the steak but the inside was still medium rare, just the way I like it. The peppercorn crust was nice and crunchy and provided a great contrast in texture to the juicy steak within. I could have reduced the green peppercorn sauce a bit more but I was too hungry to wait and it turned out great anyways. The green peppercorns had a texture that I really enjoyed and the sauce was nice and tasty. I served the peppercorn steak with an onion gratin and some parmesan breadcrumbs coated green beans. (More to come on them later.)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon mixed peppercorns (roughly crushed)
2 steaks
salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 shallot (chopped)
2 tablespoons brandy
1 tablespoon green peppercorns in brine
1/2 cup beef broth
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon dijon mustard

Directions:
1. Press the steaks into the peppercorns to coat and season with salt.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Sear the steaks on high heat on both sides for about 2-4 minutes and set aside.
4. Melt the butter in the pan.
5. Add the shallots and saute until tender, about 4 minutes.
6. Add the brandy and deglaze the pan.
7. Add the peppercorns, beef stock, heavy cream and mustard and simmer to reduce by half.
8. Remove from heat and mix in any juices collected under the steaks.

Similar Recipes:
Steak Tenderloin in Pink Peppercorn Sauce
Steak Tenderloin in a Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
Ribeye Steak in Red Wine Sauce
Sichuan Peppercorn Tenderloin Steak
Double Smoked Bacon Wrapped Fillet Mignon with Caramelized Mushrooms
Steak Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment