ADS

Mushroom and Thyme Farro Salad

Mushroom and Thyme Farro Salad

Lately I have really been enjoying exploring whole grains and one of my favorites so far has been farro. Farro has a really nice chewy texture that goes well in salads and I am always looking for new ways to use it. A while ago I came across a recipe for mushroom and thyme farro salad on Kalyn's Kitchen that sounded really good and it also included one of my favorite foods of all time, mushrooms. I bookmarked it immediately to try. Since then I have made it no less than three times and I rarely have time to make repeat dishes. As I go I have been tweaking it by adding things like feta and toasted walnuts. I am constantly trying to add green vegetables to my meals and the last time I made this dish I added some steamed spinach with great results. Although I really like to fry mushrooms I was thinking of roasting them the next time that I make this to concentrate even more mushroom flavour into the dish. Maybe some chickpeas would be nice next time as well... I guess that is one of the great things about salads, that you can change them each time to suit your cravings or just so that you can use what you have on hand at the time.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
8 ounces mushrooms (quartered)
1 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup farro (cook as directed)
1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
1/4 cup walnuts (toasted)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil (or walnut oil)
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon thyme (chopped)

Directions:
1. Heat the oil and melt the butter in a pan.
2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
4. Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and saute until the mushrooms are just starting to caramelize, about 10-14 minutes.
5. Place the mushrooms, farro, feta and walnuts in a large bowl.
6. Mix the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
7. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
8. Garnish with the thyme.

Similar Recipes:
Roasted Cauliflower and Red Pepper Farro Salad
Roasted Butternut Squash Farro Salad
Asparagus and Zucchini Farro Salad
Roasted Asparagus and Red Pepper Farro Salad
Pot Roast Mushroom Soup
Wild Mushroom and Double Smoked Bacon Linguine
Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpea Wheatberry Salad
Mushroom and Leek Wild Rice Salad
Roasted Mushroom and Green Bean Farro Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment