ADS

Wild Leek (aka Ramp) Pesto

Wild Leek (aka Ramp) Pesto

Having recently discovered wild leeks, also known as ramps, I was looking for recipes for dishes to enjoy them in. The one recipe that I kept coming across was a wild leek and shallot pesto. Since wild leeks have a taste somewhere between garlic and onions I was thinking that combining the ramps with the shallots might be a bit of an overkill but I liked the idea of a wild leek pesto. I decided to start with a basic basil pesto and I replaced half of the basil with both the bulbs and the leaves of the wild leeks. As most pestos are, this one was quick and easy to make. I always like to try new pestos out in a basic pasta dish with just the pesto and the pasta and that is what I did this time. I quite enjoyed the wild leek pesto and if you like garlic and onions like I do then you will too.

Wild Leek (aka Ramp) Pesto on Spaghetti

I still had enough pesto left over to make a second pasta and this time, on a whim, I decided to add some asparagus which I had a lot of. The juicy and almost sweet asparagus balanced out the the strength of the wild leek pesto really nicely creating a much more well rounded dish. I look forward to picking up some more wild leeks to enjoy while they are in season.

Wild Leek (aka Ramp) Pesto on Penne with Asparagus

Wild Leek (aka Ramp) Pesto

Ramps or wild leeks, are one of the first signs of springs fresh produce and what better way to enjoy them than in a pesto that stars them!


Servings: makes 1 cup

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes

Printable Recipe
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup ramps (aka wild leeks), roots trimmed and roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup basil
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano
Directions
  1. Place everything in a food processor and puree.

Use in:
Asparagus and Ramp Pesto Mac n Cheese
Ramp Pesto Omelette with Asparagus and Goat Cheese

Similar Recipes:
Fresh Pea and Mint Pesto
Asparagus Pesto on Penne
Fava Bean Pesto on Fettuccine
Garlic Scape Pesto on Fusilli with Garlic Scape Garlic Bread
Meyer Lemon Pesto and Feta Pasta with Shrimp
Asparagus and Ramp Pesto Pasta

Take a look at the Presto Pasta Nights roundup on Got No Milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment